Friday, September 14, 2007

How thick am I?

So, you know that we are pregnant with kiddo #1. YAY!!! What you might not know is how long it took me to figure out....I'm blond, Polish and Swedish, whataya gonna do?

So, it all started about 3 weeks ago. It was Mike's and Robs birthday so we went to Alt Platz Brewing to Celebrate but I felt so sick. I couldn't figure it out, but, to put it lightly, I got rid of my contents and felt better immediately. I couldn't figure out. What was going on????

I was also noticing my skirts and pants weren't fitting. This was not a huge surprise to me because we frequented Alt Platz for Tom's Beer and Pizza about 3 times a week. It's not just any beer or pizza though. We would seriously prefer hanging out there and eating than going to some 4 star restaurant. SERIOUSLY!!! If you're ever in the area we'll have to take you there. Anyway, back to my expanding waistline. Because things were starting to get snug I decided to lay off on the beer and try to only have Pizza 1x a week. So I started drinking Tom's homemade Soda instead.

Then later that week my chest started really hurting. I couldn't sleep comfortably, hugs hurt, clothing hurt, yada-yada. I thought something was seriously wrong so I went to my doctor who in turn sent me for an ultrasound. The results showed a few fibroid cysts that needed to be monitored and I was told to cut back on the coffee. The cysts I have had since 14, so that's nothing new, but cut out coffee???? WHAT???? I tried, but wasn't very successful. I at least cut back to 2 cups a day, I thought that was a great improvement! :)

Then it all came together on Friday September 7th. That morning I realized how late I was (1.5 weeks). I had several meetings that day, but all I could think about was this possible pregnancy. I was adding it all up in my head. I threw up. My clothes don't fit. My boobs hurt. I'm late. Hmm...could it be?? Tight Clothes + sickness + tenderness = pregnancy then top it off with timing and I was sure. I confirmed the timing with Ashley who convinced me to take a test.

So, by the time Ashley and I came to the conclusion that I was possibly pregnant I was at the tunnel heading into Portsmouth. We hung up with the agreement I'd take a test and call her back. I ran to the dollar store and bought a test there. When I got home my hands were shaking so much that I could barely get my key in the door. I'll spare you the rest of the details! :) I was supposed to wait 2 minutes, but it immediately showed a plus sign. My heart skipped a beat. Could it be? No...don't' get too excited it says to wait 2 minutes. I had the phone in hand to call Mike, but at 1min 30 sec my mom calls. ARGH!!! I love to talk to my mom, and normally would gab for about 20min, but I wanted to call Mike. 2 minutes had passed now and it still showed a positive sign. Okay, I had to get off the phone. So I told mom I had to use the bathroom, that did the trick! :)

Mike was working that day, and had they been at the station I would have driven down there to tell him in person, but they were at the air show in case a plane crashed (which did happen unfortunately). So I called him on his cell phone (what in the world would we do without them) told him the exciting news. After asking me if I was sure he wisely stated "I guess that means we need to quit spending." That's for sure. Now, pregnancy tests can often show a false negative, but rarely do they show a false positive. But we agreed that I should take 1 more test just in case we were that .0000009% couple.

By this point I was jumping up and down in the hallway with tears in my eyes. I know, I know, I'm a dork! :) I called Ashley and told her the news, she agreed I should take one more... and then she would get excited. Before I could get out the door the phone rang, it was Rob, calling to congratulate me! He said by the sound in my voice he knew I was very excited.

As I was walking out the door Judy, my neighbor, was grabbing her 2 year old Grandson that had wandered into our yard. . I told her that I was pregnant, but running to the store to buy another test just to be sure. She was very excited for us and asked if she could share the news, well duh...I wanted the whole world to know!!! :) I jumped in my Jeep and drove to Walgreen's. It is just 3 blocks away, but it felt like a long drive!!! :) Yes, I drove. I wanted to know right away!!!!!

So I get to the aisle with the tests and they're all behind a locked cabinet and I have to push a button for service. WHAT??? Come on now!!! I finally found the button and waited. Even though it seemed like an eternity the manager came to the aisle quite promptly. She got the test for me as I blabbed about this being our first and how excited we are, and that I already took one test but we wanted to be sure (like she really cared). The tests ranged from $8.99 - $37.99. I bought the 9.99 box of I could have another just in case! :)

I rushed home, still smiling from ear to ear, and ran up to my door. As I got to the front door Judy's whole family was out front and Wayne yelled to me "Get on in there girl...hurry it up!" Hee! Hee! that made me smile! :)

That test was positive as well, of course! I called Mike to let him know. We had agreed to not tell anyone else until I took a blood test. That lasted all of 20 min. I ran over to my sisters house and told my family and he called his parents. While I was at Anna's house Grandma happened to call so I told her the good news. I was up until 11:30 that night calling Aunts, Uncles & Friends and emailing people! :) I also talked to Brooke, but Dan was out for the day so I told her to have him call me when he got home. He finally called at 3:30 in the morning. They of course were very excited too!!!!
I was supposed to be doing homework, but how in the world was I supposed to focus on anything? I got online and signed up for several pregnancy websites, and then got onto Babies-r-us and made a registry and added things. I know, I know, I'm a dork. But I knew I was going to get tons of advice and I wanted to be able to hop on and add anything that I liked to my registry if I learned about it. I can't count on my memory to serve me! :)
The last time I was this excited was when Mike proposed to me, and then again on our wedding day. We're going to have our own family!!!! YAY!!!!

So, the world has now been told! :)


Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!!! That's so wonderful! We are so happy for you guys! God is so awesome!!!!!! We miss you and love you all! Love, Tawnia

Kristin said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you have a blog for this.

Tracy said...

I'm glad I am not the only one who rushes to Wal-Mart or Walgreens! HAHA..this story made me laugh so hard!!