Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Faith Anna Phelps



We welcomed Faith Anna Phelps into the world at 11:35pm on Wednesday, May 21st. She weight 7lbs, 7oz and was 20.5" long.

I went into Labor on Wed. AM having the first contraction at around 6:30 (as Mike was pulling out of the driveway to go to work). Since I didn't know how long it was going to be I just told him to go and that I'd call him when he needed to come home. The Contractions quickly went from 10min apart and 1min long to 5min apart and 2min long. At 9:30 Mike came home and at 10:30 we went to the hospital to get monitored for a little bit as Rachel wanted to see how Faith was handling the contractions. I was only 3cm dilated, but decided to just stay checked in since they had a jacuzzi tub. At 2:30 I was at 4cm and 6:30 I was complete at 10cm.

Unfortunately my labor stalled then and my contractions started getting further apart. I never got the "pushing" contractions that everyone talks about, where I would have gotten relief by pushing. We couldn't figure why I wasn't progressing and by 10:30pm Rachel told me that if she didn't come out soon I would have to have pitocin (which would probably lead to an epidural and c-sec if it went too long).

Since I truly desired an all natural birth I didn't want that to happen. At a bit past 11 Rachel gave me my final chance before she intervened. Since my contractions were 8 min. apart I didn't really have a choice and I had to push her out on my own without any contractions. The cord was wrapped around her neck twice and we think that was what was holding her back, and the fact that her nose what hitting on my pelvic bone.

Mike was an amazing labor coach and gave me an amazing pep talk when it came down to the wire. I couldn't have done it without him. My mom and Sister were able to be there too. There presence was a comfort even though they stayed in the background. Our Doula, Audra, really helped out a lot with the little things and positioning. It was so nice to have some guidance through this.

So...it was painful, but totally worth it. Next time I want a water birth at the midwifery center though. I had a happy healthy baby who was beautiful from the start! Sometimes I just sit here and cry over this blessing that God has bestowed upon us.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Congrats again! It's funny how every labor story is different. Enjoy her and I hope you're getting some sleep!

Brian and Karen said...

Congrats Krista! I am so glad everything went well. It seems like God really had you and Faith in the palm of His hands during your whole labor and delivery!

Enjoy your precious one and let me know if I can do anything for you!

Blessings!
~Karen :)

Melanie said...

Congratulations! What a joy and blessing God has given you!